|The German Amazon Family Program. (Image from Consumerist)|
When my son was younger, we used the service extensively (well, until we ended up finding out that Target diapers were the only ones that really fit him properly, and that other diapers would end up with, as they say in the industry "imperfect leakage control". But that's a different blogpost.)
In Germany Amazon's parent discount/reward program is called Amazon Family.
In Austria it's called Amazon Family.
In Canada it's called Amazon Family.
In Japan it's called (you guessed it) Amazon Family.
In France it's called (right again!) Amazon Family.
In the UK it's called (how did you get so right?) Amazon Family.
Would you like to hazard a guess at what it's called in the United States?
I'll give you one try?
Well, if you had guessed Amazon Family, you'd be wrong.
For reasons which seem to have little to do with reason, their US based parent program is called Amazon Mom. As if dad's aren't parents.
Dad bloggers have taken up the cause to get Amazon to acknowledge that dads are parents too, as a way to honor my friend and recently deceased Dad Blogger Oren Miller, for who this was a cause celebre.
Over two years ago, Oren wrote a very funny post about this, and how he is always getting emails that say Dear Mom, and inviting him to listen to a free audio book after doing Yoga.
Here's Oren's original post-- it's a great read.
Why You Should Sign the Amazon Mom Petition [A Blogger and a Father]
And the money quote from Oren:
Why are we OK with letting England be more progressive than we are here when it comes to fatherhood? They have a queen! They are ruled by a freakin' queen! We can do better than that!
There's a petition to sign on change.org with nearly 5000 signatures on it. I'm a signatory, as is just about every other dad blogger I know.
There's a hashtag #amazonfamilyus that in the last 48 hours has had over 6 million exposures.
Chris Routly of Daddy Doctrines has been spearheading the new effort, and there's been a spate of coverage about it:
(Incomplete list: Source Chris Routly)
- TODAY – Amazon Family: Why dads want ‘Amazon Moms’ to change its name
- Buzzfeed – Dads Are Rallying For “Amazon Mom” To Change Its Name To “Amazon Family”
- BabyCenter – Amazon Under Pressure to Validate Dads
- TakePart – Fed-Up Dads Push Back Against Amazon Mom Service
- Huffington Post – Where Do Gay Dads Fit Into ‘Amazon Mom’?
- MarketWatch – Mad dads take on Amazon Mom
- KIRO Seattle – Thousands want ‘Amazon Mom’ program to change name
- WEWS Cleveland – Change.org petition rallying to change ‘Amazon Mom’ to ‘Amazon Family’ in US
- WNEM Saginaw – Push is on to change name of Amazon program
- AdWeek – Dads Lead the Charge to Get ‘Amazon Mom’ to Become ‘Amazon Family’
- Silicon Republic – Twitter campaign calls for ‘Amazon Mom’ to be renamed ‘Amazon Family’ in the US
- The Consumerist – Why Is Amazon Mom Called Amazon Family Outside Of The US?
- GeekWire – Twitter campaign urges Amazon to rename ‘Amazon Mom’ to ‘Amazon Family’ in US
Tweet, sign the petition, and please share this post with your friends.
Thank you for your support!